Crossing the Border With Your Dog?

Your dog must be healthy and have a valid rabies vaccine certificate to enter the United Sates.


Rabies vaccinations certificates must be from a licensed veterinarian and include:

  • Your dogs description – including breed, sex, age, colour, markings, andrabies_vaccine_certificate other identifying information)
  • Date of Rabies Vaccination
  • Expiration Date of Vaccination Certificate (or date your pet’s next vaccination is due)
  • Veterinarian’s Signature

rabies_vaccineRabies Vaccination Certificates must be up-to-date.

  • Check for expiration dates (or date your pet’s next vaccination is due) on the rabies vaccination certificate.
  • Is your vaccination certificate expired? No problem! Just get your dog a booster shot before arriving at the border.
  • If you dog or puppy is being vaccinated against rabies for the first time, you must wait 30 days before brining it into the United States.

If your puppy is younger than 4 months old, it can’t enter the United States. rabies_vaccine_puppies

  • Puppies must be at least 3 months old to get a rabies vaccination, and it takes 30 days for the vaccine to be effective.

rabies_vaccine_sickDogs may not enter the United States if they look sick or have a disease that can spread to others.

These requirements apply to ALL dogs, even service dogs.

For more information visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Animal Importation Website